Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Things I've learned about making cookies

I'm making cookies tonight, and as they're the one thing I cook well, I thought I'd share some tips:
  • Pull the cookies out when they're not quite done and let them cool on a wire rack. This will make them softer and gooier.
  • If you run out of eggs, you need to go get more. Just because corn syrup looks kind of like a raw egg, doesn't mean it will work the same. Trust me.
  • Always add at least four times the recommended quantity of chocolate chips.
  • Never touch Crisco with your bare hands. Unless you want water to bead on your hands when you wash.
That's what I've come up with. Feel free to share any others.

(And as a side note, I always use Kathryn's recipe)

5 comments:

Rhia Jean said...

Who thought corn syrup was a good substitute for eggs? Yuck!

Matthew Ware said...

Um, that would be me. I was out of eggs and was looking for something I could substitute. In my hour of desperation I thought that maybe since corn syrup was thick, runny, and look like an egg white it would work.

It didn't.

Emily Anne said...

I remember the Karo syrup fiasco. I love you! You make great cookies.

stephanie sprout said...

Half a banana = one egg.

I try to make baked goods without animal products, and I've found that this substitute works quite well. It can also add a slight banana flavor to the cookie. The cookies might be a little more "cakie", however, when using banana instead of egg.

K2 said...

Thanks for the shout out.