Monday, September 22, 2008

Tipping: A City in China

I went for my semi-monthly haircut (I really need a cut every two weeks, but only go every six, but that's another matter) and was faced with my old dilemma. The tip.

You see, I understand tipping at a restaurant. You pay for your food, you tip for your service. So you can give instant feedback on bad service. You punish through your tip, or lack thereof. And you don't have to fill out your tip until you're ready to leave, so it's passive aggressive too.

I don't understand the need to tip a haircutter and for years I didn't even know you were supposed to. After enough expectant, and even some dirty, looks I realize that yes, they want a tip. But why? I'm paying for the service. I don't tip my mechanic. Why do they want more money? What extra am I getting? Conversation? That's not worth the money.

But I do tip. When you're dealing with someone who holds sharp instruments near your head, you should treat them right. And I've seen Sweeney Todd, so you should also bring your family.

I guess I could take the more aggressive route that was suggested by Dwight on "The Office". I could only tip for things I can't do. So waitressing? No tip, because I can do that. Though I'd be a waiter because I'm a guy. But I would tip for a proctologist, because I can't, or more accurately, WON'T, do that on my own.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I understand tipping a hair stylist, but tipping the ice cream store people or Starbucks employees is just stupid to me. Get real.

Rhia Jean said...

I also have a hard time tipping the pizza delivery guy. Was it really that hard to find my house and walk to my door? Really?

Emily Anne said...

I pay $40 for my haircut, and I get my hair cut from the owner of the shop. I don't tip. My mom would be horrified because she taught me to tip my hairdresser, but I don't see the point. If you are getting $40 for spending 20 minutes cutting my hair you don't get a tip. If you want a tip, raise your prices.