Thursday, September 25, 2008

Rent


After fourteen years, the little musical that no one thought would make it is closing on Broadway. They filmed the last performance and are viewing it at some select theaters nationwide.

I'd never seen the stage version before. Rent has always been important to Emily but she never let me watch the movie with her because she thought that I wouldn't like it and even more, that I'd make fun of it. Well, I'd heard the soundtrack a few times, but that doesn't really do it for me. I need to see a show to like it or not.

This previous Valentine's Day I had to take Emily to our capital, Jefferson City, for Nurse's Day. She had hurt her ankle and couldn't walk, so while she was at the capital, I was tooling around putting together a little Valentine's Day celebration. One of the things I got for her was the movie version of Rent. We watched it that night, and let me tell you, I loved it.

But again, I'd never seen the stage show. It came to Starlight last year for two shows but I had to work both nights. When I heard they were viewing the last performance from Broadway, I was excited. Even if it was $15 a ticket. Let me tell you, except for the song Contact (which you can close your eyes and hum through) it is a really good show. There's just so much energy and you can really relate to these people.

So if you've ever seen the show or movie and want to see it again, or even for the first time, it's showing at some theaters the 25th, 27th, and 28th of this month (tonight, Saturday, and Sunday).

And, some exciting news, Adam Pascal and Anthony Rapp (the original Roger and Mark) are taking the show on tour starting in January. So we're thinking we'll have to go see it live. Some of the cities it's going to are: Chicago, Dallas, Austin, St. Louis, Charlotte NC, and Tampa FL. The whole list is at www.siteforrent.com and some tickets are already for sale.

1 comment:

Emily Anne said...

Dude, you were blog crazy today. That said, the reason you had listened to the music from Rent was I was driving home from Omaha (I think or maybe it was St. Louis) and wanted to listen to something that would keep me awake. If you had watched it and laughed at it or made fun of it I would have been so mad. I saw it/listened to it for the first time around the time my Dad died and I associated the show for a year or so with my dad. I'm very glad to say that Matt didn't make fun of it and really likes the show now. Thank goodness for small favors.