Friday, August 8, 2008

Talula does the Hula (SPOILER WARNING)

This is a review of Stephenie Meyer's Breaking Dawn. There will be spoilers. That means that if you haven't finished the book and wish to do so, don't read this blog.

Skip it now, move to the next topic, and come back when you're ready.

Emily, I know you're not finished, go away!

Okay, if you're still here, then you have read the novel or have no desire to ever do so.

Right...I've got to say, this was my favorite Twilight novel yet. It actually went places. I'm not sure if it ranks up there with The Host, but it's close. Now, I'm not going to dwell on all the wonders of Stephenie Meyer's writing (and this girl knows how to write), instead, just a few things I just thought a little silly. Like Bella's name for her child. Renesmee? It took half the novel before I could say it in my head without tripping! Okay, I get that it's a combination of her two mother figures, but Renesmee? Get a baby naming book or something. This is like all the names for Harry Potter's offspring.

I wonder what would have happened if her child had been a boy. There's EJ (Edward Jacob), though I don't think you should give your child the name of an ex-boyfriend. How about combine your hubby and daddy's names. Would that be Edlie or Charwood. I'm partial to Charwood, with the burning and all.

Okay, that's about all the criticism. Now I have an honest question for the ladies out there because I know that women think differently than men. You have Jacob, who Bella got pretty close to, and if Edward hadn't returned (or even existed in the first place), Bella probably would have ended up with him and everyone knew it. So this old friend/potential boyfriend, with all his history of trying to steal Bella, knowing she's committed to Edward, shows up at the wedding and picks a fight and Bella STILL WANTS TO BE BESTEST FRIENDS?!? That just doesn't jive with me. If I had an ex-girlfriend who tried through my engagement to steal me from Emily show up at the reception, she'd been kicked out, no matter how close we had been. And I wouldn't care about her well being. I'd probably make fun of her for being psycho. But men aren't as sensitive.

All that said, I thought the chapters from Jacob's point of view were really good and I loved the way his character turned out.

I'm really happy with the direction of the novel and all the new things she brought in with the immortal children, Bella's power, and all the vampires from across the world. Now I have to wait for Midnight Sun, to get Edward's point of view.

5 comments:

R Matthew Ware said...

PS: Rhia got her furniture breaking sex :)

Rhia Jean said...

Which was seriously the best part of the entire book! Thankyouverymuch. However, BD wasn't my favorite. I felt a little disappointed. There was all sorts of build up but no climax to the BD story. There were parts that drug on and on for me and then there were huge chunks that were missing. For instance Jacob and Edward hate each other. Then you turn the page and they are best friends. It took 4 pages for Bella to see her child, walk up, and take her in her arms. And what about Renee? What mother would see her daughter get married and then accept some lame-o excuse about her being sick and not even try to see her or contact her? Anyways, I liked how everything was wrapped up and I liked the story. It just seemed like they either took the story and morphed it to please everyone to lessen the crazy fan/hate mail or that they just took the manuscript and ripped huge chunks out of the middle to make it the approved number of pages. ...Don't judge me.

Matthew Ware said...

I think you're probably right on most those points. I wonder if Meyer had so much to fit in this one that she had to cut stuff out to keep it under a thousand pages. She really could have made it a two parter.

K2 said...

Matt,
Think about my two relationships I've had (boyfriends etc) I am still friends with #1 and I would still want to be friends with him if we had a fight. Jacob only had Bella's best interests at heart. Now, on the other hand, if #2 showed up at my reception that would be an entirely different matter. I think because #2 and I were more connected physically etc etc...which I won't go into here. I can understand Bella wanting to keep them both.
As for Edward and Jacob I think that they could see that each was resigned to be around the other either through Bella or the kid. (I also had a hard time with her name..so, so weird)
I loved it though and it was the best of the four I think..though I liked Eclipse a lot as well. New moon was my least favorite.

Emily Anne said...

There wasn't enough violence for me. I thought for sure they were going to destroy the Volteri and take over the world or something. However, I don't feel the let down I have had from finishing some other books. I love the eternal love. Go love!