Monday, August 4, 2008

Okay, I have to say this

I saw on Yahoo that people are complaining of the deep voice used by Christian Bale when he's in his Batman role in The Dark Knight. I understand the criticism, because he's awefully croaky. But, I get it. Even with the cowl covering most of his face, his normal Bruce Wayne voice would give him away. Now, when Batman is talking to someone who knows his identity, he should drop the deep voice and just speak normally, but he keeps it up. I understand the criticism, but it also makes sense why he'd change his voice around others, especially someone who might notice that this caped crusader sounds like Billionaire Playboy Bruce Wayne.

Why do I understand?

Well, think of the recent Spiderman movies. Tobey Maguire runs around in this costume, and sure he's completely covered, but he goes around saving and talking to people who know him. He does it in his normal Peter Parker voice, even calling Mary Jane his cute "MJ" nickname. And. No. One. Ever. Figures. It. Out. I know that's not the point of the movie, but if I ran around in a costume fighting crime, and went and saved my wife, I would think my size and voice, and if I called her something like Em or Emmy, she'd figure out it was me. It's a little annoying.

And so is the Batman deep voice. But it works. It's more believable, so I'm okay with it.

That is all.

3 comments:

Alison said...

My gripe with the Batman voice is that it makes me laugh at inappropriate moments. Serious, then *deep super fake Batman voice*, and I lose it! :D I'm surprised any of his enemies can take him seriously with that voice either. But, I get what you're saying.

Emily Anne said...

I like the voice mostly. I do think maybe it is a little over the top and needs to toned down a bit, but overall it works.

And if Matt was a superhero, first of all I would know, but if I didn't, the voice would give him away. DUH!

Rhia Jean said...

Okay, but the best is when he tells Joker "You belong in a padded cell." Seriously. If Joker had not reaffirmed what Batman said, I would have been totally lost on that line. I did giggle a bit...