Monday, April 7, 2008

Crying Over Sour Milk or Things You Shouldn't Do With Dairy Products

On my mission, I remember having bought a gallon of milk, but not drinking it by the sell-by date. I'm sure you know that drinking milk on or near the sell-by date is dangerous, so we didn't drink it. Nor did we throw it away. We just left it in the fridge. Then we decided to run an experiment. We took the bad milk from the fridge and left it on the counter. For several days. I don't know if our original intent was to use the sour milk for evil, but it evolved into that.

You see, there was this missionary we didn't really like (Alison, you can ask if you'd like. You may or may not have known him.) and the idea was we would just let the milk sit and get super-rank and then take it to this missionary's apartment and hide it somewhere (preferably by a heater). We liked his companion, but he was going to have to be collateral damage.

So on one P-Day (the missionary off day) my companion woke up and went to the kitchen without turning the lights on. We stepped in something wet and smelled a wonderful vomit-like odor and thought, "crap, my companion is sick on our off day. We'll just have to stay in today." Then he realized, it wasn't vomit he was standing in, it was something much, much worse.

Now I'll bet that most of you don't realize what horrors milk can do when it gets really bad. I don't remember anymore how long we had left the milk to go bad. But apparently milk, when rotten enough, can eat through the plastic container. This is, if you haven't been following, what happened. Rancid milk was on the linoleum floor (which isn't too bad) and had flowed over to the carpet (really bad).

There is something else you should know. The scent of milk, once rotten and vomit-like, doesn't go away fast. In fact, in the couple months I spent in that apartment, the odor never went away. It got better after a while, but it was always there. And if any local members came by, they could still smell it, though they wouldn't say anything unless asked.

The moral of this story, if there is one, is that if you plan to play a particularly vicious prank on someone, especially someone in the Lord's service, you may want to think twice. Or at least bear in mind that milk can rot through plastic.

4 comments:

Alison said...

Ewwwwww! Who was it?? (Great story by the way.) :)

R Matthew Ware said...

Elder Ray was the one we didn't like. Elder Davis was the potentially unfortunate bystander.

My comp at the time was Burke, I think.

Rhia Jean said...

I was not aware that milk could eat through plastic if it got rotten enough. I am now and will promptly and properly dispose of any milk that has sat at least 1 hour past it's expiration date. I'm now officially paranoid!

Emily Anne said...

Rhia, I think it has to sit out not being refrigerated for several days AND be past the expiration date. I think you are safe.

Matt, that is nasty, and totally awsome. Too bad it got on your carpet. I do think the Lord was teaching you a lesson. The End