Thursday, March 27, 2008

Sundry Items

Hehe, I used the word sundry. Bet you didn't think I had it in me.

Last night I went home teaching for the first time in seven years. I'm not sure if the first two counted becasue that was my mission, but I haven't gone since. Some of that is because the Single's Branch didn't organize home teaching assignments for a long time. But still, I didn't do it. So last night, I went out. I even had an appointment with the Elder'S Quorum President, who is one of my families. So I pick up my companion and we go over. The EQ pres' kids are home, but they say neither parent is home. EQ pres is at work. Now, I know I set up the appointment, he said it was cool, and didn't call to tell me he couldn't keep it (though in his defense, with the new phone we have new numbers and I haven't given it to him yet). So, this isn't to complain against him, or to complain at all. I feel good that I went out. I feel good that I tried and things didn't work out. And next month, I'll try again.

Also last night, my wife and I were getting ready to do one of our favoritist things ever: reading together, separately. This basically entails that we will be in the same room, reading different books, but spending time together. Her parents used to do this and Emily loved it and she's brought the tradition to me. So last night she was sitting in bed and I was going to get my book from the living room. I hear this noise that indicates something is breaking and when I look I see that the bed has shifted in the downward position. I thought that maybe one of the support beams had shifted and I just needed to reach under the bed and prop it back up. That's when the whole side of our wooden sleigh bed cracked and fell off. I'm really glad my arm wasn't under there. What had happened was a piece of wood that held the bed together had simply broken off, collapsing the bed. We weren't happy. This was another one of our good experiences from Nebraska Furniture Mart (we had a couch that fell apart after only a year) that reaffirms that we will never buy anything from them again. So we took the remaing parts of the bed apart and sat the box springs and mattress on the floor. We didn't sleep well. It's surprising how much a frame does for a bed. So we went out and bought a cheap frame today that has wheels that roll. Not fun, but good enough for now. I'm going to postpone my not-so-secret project (more on that in a minute) and see if I can't fix the old bed. A few bolts might do it, but we'll see.

Now, on my now not-so-secret project. I told my wife what I'm making her. I'm not good at keeping secrets. Well, I'm good at keeping other peoples' secrets, just not my own. What I'm making her (and I started the other day, and it is looking well so far) is a wall tree. This is basically two pieces. The bottom is a sort of bench with a storage space where Emily can put her bags, backpacks, purses, and computer bag so its not just strewn randomly about the dining room. The top half goes up from the bench about four feet and will have hooks to hang coats/scarves/etcetera. If all goes well, it will be done by Mother's Day, and will actually look good and look right.

5 comments:

Rhia Jean said...

Nebraska Furniture Mart must be a part of the great and spacious building called JC Penny's. My story is a bit long so I'll give you the reader's digest version: I bought a table. They never delivered it. They said it had to be ordered from overseas. Six months later they told me it was discontinued and nobody at knew because it wasn't entered into the computer (their exact words). They never offered me any kind of compensation. They never offered to refund my money back. I had to demand it. I haven't stepped foot in the great and spacious building since.

Emily Anne said...

I love being the first to comment. you used sundry and strewn. Way to go. I'm very excited about my no so super secret project. I'm very glad you went home teaching. Going is very important.

R Matthew Ware said...

Oops, Rhia beat you by four minutes :)

Yeah, it's amazing that a store will try to rip you off the way they do. It's a good way to guarantee I'll never go there again. The problem we've had with pharmacies is they've all irritated us, so now we just have to deal with them.

Yeah, my garage is getting crowded with my projects. That's why I'm trying to make a to-do list for my days off. Good thing we never planned to use the garage to, you know, park.

Alison said...

Ah, the good ol' bed on the floor. Nothing makes you feel like your in college again like a mattress on a floor. sigh. :S

K2 said...

Oh good night. You poor things. Glad no one was under the bed. I think NBFM sucks too.

Love you guys