Friday, March 28, 2008

Some recent reading

I've finished several books recently and thought I'd share.

Today, for one, I finished the Book of Mormon. Again. I've lost track of how many times I've read it, but that's okay. Our Stake President asked us to read it again this year, starting in January and finishing by the end of March. So I'm three days early! Tomorrow I'll start again, but at a slower pace. I'm also going to read the New Testament again. I don't think I've read it since my mission.

Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code
Artemis Fowl is a series of kids books about a teenage genius who is also a criminal mastermind. In the first novel he tried to steal a bunch of fairy gold from real fairies. So there are fairies and goblins and magic in this world. The third book, The Eternity Code, has to do with Artemis creating a computer out of fairy technology which is far ahead of anything humans have come up. A rival businessman steals the computer and Artemis has to get it back before the businessman finds the hidden fairy city.

Good Omens
This one is written by Neil Gaiman (Stardust) and Terry Pratchett (lots of humerous British novels). It's about two angels (one from Heaven, one from Hell) trying to stop the apocalypse because they kind of like earth the way it is. In the middle is an 11-year-old antichrist who doesn't really want to be the antichrist. It's really funny, in a British way.

The City of Ember
Somehow a bunch of people end up in this underground city, completely cut off from humanity. Their power is supplied by a generator that the people know how to fix, but they don't really understand the technology. We assume some kind of disaster or war forced the people underground. The city was stocked with enough supplies to last for two hundred years and then they were supposed to leave the city and go back above ground. But the message was lost and now, after two hundred and fifty years, no one remembers the outside world and no one knows they are supposed to leave. The power system is failing, there are constant blackouts (and living underground, that's a little creepy) and the mayor is hoarding what little supplies remain for himself. In the middle are two 12-year-olds, Lina and Doon, who discover a way out of the city, but can't convince the mayor to believe them.

Now I'm reading A Wrinkle in Time. I remember reading it as a kid, but don't really remember much of it. And, I discovered there are some four sequels that I never read. Joy!

2 comments:

Emily Anne said...

Good job on finishing the Book of Mormon. I'm going to finish it tonight.

Rhia Jean said...

When I was a kid, my mom tried to get me to read A Wrinkle In Time but I just couldn't get into it. I read it as an adult and absolutely loved it! It's one of my faves.