Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Book Review: Ironside

Ironside, by Holly Black, is the third book in a series of Urban Fantasy novels. Though technically the direct sequel to Tithe, it also has characters from Valiant as well.

So, what did I think of the novel? Well, to tell the truth, the first half was kind of boring. And by boring, I mean, still better than quite a few books I've read, which are excruciating. The novel did pick up, and by the time it got to the climax I was glad I made the investment. It's like some classic rock songs. You have to listen to ten minutes of song before you get to the exciting part (ie Free Bird and Stairway to Heaven).

My criticisms are this: There is a lot of language in it. I think Black uses it to make the characters look more real and edgy. To me, it just got annoying. I don't often use that sort of language myself. I see a lot of paramedics and EMTs, and though they swear a lot, its not as much as the characters in this novel. So, I wouldn't mind some of that toned down. Also, I didn't like the gay romance. No, I'm not gay bashing, I just think guys with guys is icky. Now, I might be a hypocrite, but I can handle girls liking girls easier.

So, would I read another book by Holly Black? Yeah, probably.
Would I recommend this book to a friend? Probably not. I think most my friends would find it too offensive.

No comments: