Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Dangers of ER Work

So, I was notified yesterday that I handled a patient Friday that had Meningitis. It worried me a little at first because I fell ill Saturday and Sunday, and I'm still feeling exhausted today. I talked to employee health, and they didn't seem concerned. So, mostly it just pissed me off. It didn't help, either, that the patient was kind of a jerk. But, oh well. I'm sure I'll live. It does bother me, though, that I'm exposed to all sorts of diseases in the ER. And a lot of patients won't tell you they have some major infectious disease. And sometimes when they do, the ER staff don't put up the proper signs warning everyone about it. I almost walked into a patient's room once that was on isolation. The sign that was supposed to be up wasn't there. I'd complain, but people that complain get in trouble for talking too much. Amazing how that works.

No comments: