Tuesday, November 4, 2008

I can't be too disappointed

I can't be too awfully disappointed about the election. Sure, my guy didn't win, but McCain only became my guy after about four guys in front of him lost. So, there you are. But now that the election is (probably) over, I'll voice the reasons I'm glad McCain didn't win.

  • He thought 'No Child Left Behind' was a good idea. Any teacher I've talked to (correct me if you disagree) says that program doesn't work. You focus more on standardized tests than on actual learning and punish schools with low schools. So all the education gets focused on passing one test at the end of the year instead of learning how to think, or you force states to lower testing standards. You allow no flexibility for the needs of the community. I think education decisions should be left to the state so they can decide what's best for them.
  • He came up with the immigration reform that failed. I'm glad it failed because it created a guest-worker program (aka, you come do our crap work and we send you home without so much as a thank you when you're done) without trying to secure the border first. He also agreed with amnesty, which is to allow illegal aliens to become citizens. I think there are a lot of people trying to enter our country from Mexico legally. Why should we reward the rule-breakers?
  • Tax hikes for businesses is a bad idea. The trickle-down theory works both ways. If you raise taxes on someone's employer, they'll either cut pay, cut benefits, or cut jobs. But I also hate seeing a lot of our jobs going overseas while Detroit and Ohio die. Instead, you should offer a tax cut to businesses that keep a certain percent of jobs in the US, while increasing taxes on those that don't. Motivation can be a good thing.
  • I am a conservative with some moderate tendencies. McCain was never a conservative, no matter what he said.
  • I think McCain would have been a weak president. I don't think he would stand up to his opponents. I think he would have been great on defense, but I don't think he had enough expertise or interest on domestic issues. Though I still liked his positions more than Obama's.
All of that said, Barack Obama will be our next president. And I will endure. I think the Republicans will keep enough votes in the Senate to protect checks and balances. I don't think Obama is evil, I merely disagree with his political philosophies.

And I will join the throng of Americans counting down Bush's time in office.

2 comments:

Emily Anne said...

That is a good reminder of the fact that John McCain wasn't my first choice either. I still think he was the lesser of two evils, but what do I know. With an untested guy like Obama in office, anything can happen. It should be an interesting 4 years.

Rhia Jean said...

Sometimes I wonder who thought of NCLB. Who was the person that convinced everyone that all children are the same? What kind of nonsense is that? How are everyone's needs being met when you mandate how they prove what they have learned thus mandating how they learn? Grrr....