Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween

Well, we made it again to my favorite holiday. And where am I? Work :(

But that's okay. When we started down this path of putting Emily through nursing school and getting out of debt, I knew it would be tough. I work five nights a week, including Saturday and Sunday. I miss most holidays, but it's worth the payoff. Within three years we'll be completely out of debt and able to choose our paths in life. We will start the traveling nurse program in 2010 and I can start taking online classes. By the time we settle two years after that I'll have the time and money to finish school and become a teacher. That will give me weekends, nights, and holidays off. I'll be able to spend time with my friends and family and I'll be able to devote more time to writing.

On the writing front, I'm over 10,000 words into my novel. Things are going well and I think I'm getting better at character development. The thing about being a "cyborg" writer is that, though I know where the story starts and ends, I end up coming up with a lot of neat side developments, too.

It seems our toilet is leaking from the water valve, not the drain. So that means the water leaking is just fresh water, and not toilet water. This may not seem like a big deal, but the quality of water dripping on you can make a big difference in the ick department. I went to Home Depot and actually was helped by someone intelligent. He said I should replace the one line going into the tank first before trying to replace the copper lines. If the water line higher up is leaking, it'll make everything else look wet too. And since we have water in the bathroom, maybe he's right. It wouldn't seem likely that several valves started leaking all at once. But we'll see. If it turns out that the copper lines are leaking I'll have to get help because I'm not smart enough to fix that.

Okay everyone, have fun this Halloween. Eat lots of candy and don't worry about the consequences because Halloween only comes one time of year. You have four weeks until Thanksgiving to work off the calories ;)

3 comments:

Alison said...

10,000 words is quite an accomplishment. Congratulations! I'll eat candy for you, me, and about 10 other people. I have a reeeeal bad sweet tooth. *nervous laugh*

Emily Anne said...

I'm sorry you had to miss Will's first Halloween trick or treating. It was fun. I'm so proud that you are working so hard on your book. Good job! Sorry school takes so long, but it will pay off soon.

Rhia Jean said...

I am totally in love with Home Depot! I love it because if I ever have a question about my house, I just go there and ask and they tell me exactly what to do. I don't call my dad or my brother anymore...I just go straight to the H.D. guys. We're like BFFs. Then again, maybe they are so helpful because I'm a girl...