Saturday, October 4, 2008

Recant

On one of Alison's blog posts a while back, I made this comment:


I'm telling you, if I had a temple close, I'd be there. It's one of the reasons
we're thinking about moving from Kansas City. It'll be the last metro area to
get a temple because if you put one anywhere near Independence people would
freak out.

Well, if you saw any of conference today, you'll notice that the KC, Mo metro area will be getting a temple. I don't know exactly where, as the KC metro area covers about the same geographical space (and number of random cities) as the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I know a lot of people will hear rumors that it will be at this place or that place, but the truth is there are probably few people who actually know, and the ones who do know, probably aren't talking (no offense D).

But my recant comes in the form that I figured we'd get our own temple about never. Well, either too many metropolitan areas in the US (some smaller than us) have gotten temples and we couldn't be passed over any longer. Or maybe we're faithful enough. I don't know. My one guess is that the temple won't be in Jackson County (because Utah-Mormons would freak). That's okay, because the metro area encompasses five counties.

Yeah, I'm pretty happy. We're getting a temple. We still plan on traveling for a few years, and likely enough we'll end up somewhere other than KC. I like KC well enough, I just feel like there's something better for me somewhere. Maybe it's just the "grass is greener" mentality, but it's the way I feel right now. But it's nice to know that if I do end up back in KC I'll have a temple nearby.

And last, I look forward to being in a situation where I can attend all of conference again. It's been a while. A Saturday-Sunday shift will do that to you. In a couple years that shouldn't be a problem again. Until then...

4 comments:

Alison said...

Again, congratulations Ware! You never know, maybe you'll stay and get to enjoy it. Sometimes things keep you in places you want to flee. That's what happened to me. Thought I'd never return to Dallas, and now look at me.

Either way, it's cool that there are five new temples going up. :D

Rhia Jean said...

Yes, very cool. Hopefully it will be finished before you guys move...or maybe not, I'm not sure how long it takes to build a temple and I'm not sure when you guys are planning on moving, but either way, it is pretty cool that KC is getting a temple.

stephanie sprout said...

so please educate me, is the template in independence, mo different?

Matthew Ware said...

For the LDS (Mormon) church we receive covenants like baptism and eternal marriage as part of our progression in life. For us, it is important to make these same covenants available to our ancestors who didn't live to receive them. We do those things in the temple.

Right now, the closest temple is in St Louis. Having a temple in Kansas City makes it a lot easier for us to go and do work for our deceased ancestors.

There is a Community of Christ (formerly RLDS) temple in Independence, but they are a seperate church and do not perform similar ordinances in their temple.