Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Creepiest Thing Ever...including Facebook

The other day I was tooling around on the internet while at work. I decided to do a map search on my own house because it's one of those nerdy things you do when you're bored. And it's kind of cool to see the satellite view of the top of your house. I mean, I'm afraid of heights, when am I ever going to end up on the top of my own house?

So I punched it up and zoomed in (I'm always curious how up to date those maps are, maybe I'll see my car from outerspace, or the top of my head). So I zoom in and I see this little box that has a little image of my house with an option for "Street View". I'm like, hmm. I hit Street View and up comes a picture of my street, at street level. The picture is a little off so I have to go down the road a few houses, but there it is. My wife's car on one side, my car in the other. I figure the picture had to have been taken around October of last year because I have my new car, the leaves are changing, and I can see the pumpkins outside the door.

CREEPY!

I'm really not okay with this. Besides the fact that someone came down my street snapping pictures, anyone can pop in my address and get a picture of my house. Talk about the ultimate stalking tool. And I thought Facebook was bad. At least you have to volunteer for that. At least you can ban people and block out your profile. ANYONE can do a search and find me. Ugh.

So, anyway, if you want to creep yourself out, pop in your own address and see what you find. If you have an apartment, you're probably okay, but put in your parent's address just for kicks and giggles.

3 comments:

Emily Anne said...

I have a huge problem with this. I saw a story on the news of some rich people in California that freaked out when their really expensive, really private homes were on Google maps. I thought they were overreacting and being a bit dramatic. I was wrong. I don't like it. I know these women got their houses taken off Google because they raised such a fuss, but I'm not going to do that. I'm just going to trust in the fact that my house is not important enough to stalk. I think pictures of your house should not be on the Internet like that. Businesses, ok, but not personal homes.

Alison said...

Yeah, you just have to create your own privacy in your head now-a-days, 'cause if you think about it too hard, life becomes scary. :S

Rhia Jean said...

Hmmm...I never thought about it that way. I used it when I was looking for houses as a way to kind of scope out the neighborhood. And you know, if someone was stalking me, I'd rather they do it from a great distance over the internet rather than sitting outside my house watching me. I'm just trying to look on the bright side.