Sunday, August 31, 2008

Sundry Items

The Dark Knight hit the $500 million dollar mark for US ticket sales. It's now less than a $100 million away from over taking Titanic. I've heard the Titanic lovers saying that tickets were a lot cheaper in 1998 when it came out so even if Dark Knight beats it in overall sales, Titanic still sold more tickets. Yeah, no one listened to us Star Wars fans when we said the same thing. Am I a nerd? I'm a nerd.

Hurricane Gustav is getting ready to slam New Orleans. I still say they should let lower New Orleans become a swamp and rebuild upriver. It would be a better use of money.

In other Gustav news, the GOP convention is getting delayed a little bit because of the hurricane. Does this mean that God hates Republicans? Or is he giving McCain a chance to shine. Or, in the words of a piece of flair I saw, is he not Republican or Democrat? Probably the last option.

In other God news, I had thought I hated all LDS hymns written by Eliza Snow. That wasn't entirely true. The words are just fine, it's the music that sucks. Most of them are written by a guy named George Careless, who lived up to his name. You see, you always hit a point in one of his songs where the men drop out and the women are left trying to sing soprano and it always comes off sounding weak. The Mormon Tabernacle Choir could probably do it just fine, the congregation has troubles. So, there was a song we sang today (we actually ended up singing two George Careless songs) where we took turns dropping out. First the women dropped out, leaving the men trying to sing bass, then the men dropped out and left the women to sing. I think it was during the second verse that I just stopped singing. Singing should be fun, it should uplift your soul. If it just irritates you, I think it's okay to just sit and stay quiet. Or, as I did, whisper in your neighbor's (Emily's) ear that we must be having a George Careless Labor Day Marathon.

We've now entered the heated political season where hatred and emotion trumps reason. Friendships are challenged, marriages are tried. I'm voting for McCain. Not because I think he's the best man for the job, just because I think he's the best man running. If you're an Obama supporter, I'm okay with that. If you hate the overall political process and won't vote at all, that's okay too. If you want my opinions on the race, you can ask. If I wish to blog about my opinions, I'll make the title clear that's what I'm doing in the title so you can skip it if you wish.

For Labor Day weekend I get to work all weekend (including Monday) but I'm going to try to enjoy some festivities Monday before work. So I'll have a little fun. Oh, I can't wait until I'm actually settled in a career.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Yes, you are a nerd. But you're a nerd with a point. Makes you much cooler. :)

Emily Anne said...

I'm not sure being a nerd with a point makes you cooler, it just makes you nerdy on several levels: Star Wars and brains. Sorry, Matt but you are a big nerd. However, you are funny (and you are mine, so I must like nerds)

I agree about the hymns on Sunday - even I stopped singing after we got to the verses at the bottom of the page (I think they were four and five). I enjoyed reading the words of the hymn but not the actual music. Our intermediate hymn was great though.

Rhia Jean said...

Nothing will ever beat Titanic...NOTHING!