Sunday, August 10, 2008

A Request

If you are in an English speaking congregation at church, and you are capable of speaking English, please do so. Do not say a prayer, give a talk, bear a testimony, or bless a child, in a language that maybe five other people know. I can't say 'amen' if I don't know what you said. You could totally be blasting the bishop for all I know. You could be praying to Buddha. I'm not going to get in on that. It's rude to speak your native language when only other natives (again, the vast minority) can understand what you're saying.

And I know that people have said that someone came to speak or give their testimony in their congregation and they didn't know English, so they gave it in their own language and the spirit was so strong. Well yeah, I get that. They don't speak the language so they're doing their best. This isn't what I'm talking about. I'm talking about the idea that you've decided to exclude 95% of the congregation so you can honor your heritage or some other garbage.

3 comments:

Alison said...

Here, here! *in pretentious British accent* People that can speak fluent, perfect English and went on a mission to Tokyo six years ago do not need to get up and show off in a sacrament meeting at home. Cause that's what those people are doing, not honoring their heritage, showing off. Booooooooo! Oh you idiots.

Emily Anne said...

Matt, I knew that bothered you today. It bothers me too, but whatever. I just move on. I don't like it, but I can understand why people feel like they should speak their own language. We must all learn to get along.

Rhia Jean said...

Hmmm...never thought of it in that way. I always think, "Great. I wonder if I'll have the gift of tongues and miraculously understand what they are saying this time..." but then I don't. Then because I have no idea what they are saying, my mind wanders and I don't feel the spirit. Then it's over and I have to refocus.