Sunday, July 6, 2008

Happy...er...6th of July!

I got to be at work until midnight on the fourth (woo-hoo), but I did step out at one point to view the fireworks for a few minutes. Ah, blowing stuff up to celebrate the country's birthday. Now, don't get me wrong. I like blowing stuff up. Given the chance, I'd be blowing stuff up with the rest of you. I didn't because I worked, fireworks are illegal in Independence, and you have to pay for the things you are exploding. So, I'm all for making stuff go boom. I just have a few requests. If you feel so inclined to ignite cute animals and cardboard tanks, please don't do so until 2 in the morning. In fact, you should stop some time around midnight. People have to sleep. Also, don't light something that sounds like a bomb exploding from a mile away. I'm not from Israel, so I don't know what it's like having bombs going off at random times and locations. And last, please pick up your mess. I don't think I need to drive over your spent fireworks. I know a lot of stuff flies through the air and gets driven off by the wind, but enough lands close enough to you that you should pick it up. Thank you.

As I watched the fireworks the other night, I was reminded of being in Salt Lake City during the Olympics. For the closing ceremonies the city put on what was, at the time, largest fireworks display in the country. Now, let me explain what the Salt Lake Valley is like for anyone who doesn't know. On the eastern side are large range of mountains. Think Colorado style mountains that keep their snow all year. On the other side are the Okra Mountains (no, it's not spelled that way, but that's how it's pronounced) that are a bit lower, but still decent sized mountains. And then on the north and south sides the valley raises up like a bowl, hence the valley. After the fireworks display that seemed to go on forever, the sound of that many fireworks exploding reverberated off the mountains for even longer than the display. It was like an extended roll of thunder. Very cool.

2 comments:

Alison said...

Amen to the not popping off fireworks at 2 in the morning, unless you're in the middle of nowhere (so you're not annoying anyone else). The SLC fireworks sound cool.

Rhia Jean said...

I heart fireworks. Someday I'd like to go to Boston and see them. I hear they are really cool there and in other major cities on the east coast. So Happy Birthday America! Let's blow something up!