Friday, June 13, 2008

Sometimes I'm Such a Girl

Not that being a girl is a bad thing.

So, I've never owned a pair of sandals before. Years ago, when I was just a little kid, I had worn a pair of thongs (back when you could still call them that) when I'd go to my grandparents. I've never owned a pair of my own or worn them on a regular basis.

On our vacation to Omaha I decided I might like to have a pair, so I got a nice pair of Hush Puppy sandals at DSW and wore them. They rubbed a bit, but were never really uncomfortable. I noticed after vacation that I had a red mark on the top of my right foot. Yesterday we took a walk around our neighborhood, a stroll that's about a mile and a half. They're so nice when it's hot out. Well, they wore again, but never to the point of pain. After I got home I noticed I had rubbed right through the skin. Ick. I didn't have to go out again, so I didn't worry about it. Today I went to go cut down a little tree that keeps trying to grow out of the side of the house and just threw on the sandals. Well, leather rubbing against a hole in your skin isn't pleasant. So, I put on the dreaded sandal band-aid! I know you women know what I'm talking about. I see the sandal band-aid on many a woman's foot, but until now I hadn't really thought about it. I can now not just sympathize with our sandal-wearing women folk, I can now empathize. Sandals, though so very nice to wear in the summer, have their price.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I hate when I get an awesome pair of shoes that seem like they will be comfortable and then end up giving me blisters or pinching my heel. Arg!

Sorry about the sandles.

Rhia Jean said...

Ah yes, the sandal band-aid...most unfortunate. You just have to power through though and keep wearing your beloved sandals (Alison...sandles...hee-hee) because your skin will get used to it and you won't have a sore there again.

Emily Anne said...

Matt, I understand the sandal thing. I used to hate the sandal bandaid, but it is a lifesaver. Rhia is right, it does get better. Just push through the pain and be glad you have a wife that carries bandaids in her purse.