Saturday, May 3, 2008

Prom Season

Well folks, it's prom season once again. I remember going to prom. It was nine years ago. I took a friend of mine who was a junior. I didn't have a car so she picked me up and we drove downtown to whatever place we had our prom. I had been to dances before, once with a date, and once without, and had more fun without. But I thought I should have a date to prom otherwise I'd dance by myself. So, I took this friend. Well, through the night she kept letting other guys cut in and dance with her (why didn't she go with one of them?) and I would go off with a group of friends that came on their own (why didn't I do that again?). So, it wasn't a lot of fun.

Today a coworkers son came up with his date and they took pics and all that and one of the LPNs (think RN-light) said she wished she could go back to her prom because it was so fun. I just thought, if you really miss those times, you're doing something wrong. I don't miss prom. Even the dances I went to that were great I don't miss. I'm enjoying life now. I'm happily married, I have a great (and obnoxious) son, a decent job, and I enjoy myself. If you're looking back to a time five or ten years ago and thinking how much you miss it, you need help.

It's like people that say their mission was the best two years of your life. If that's true, then your life must really suck right now. I admit my mission was the best two years for my life, but not of my life.

If you think that some period of your younger life was so awesome and that your current life can never live up to that, you need to pause and evaluate and make some changes.

3 comments:

Emily Anne said...

I am glad you are enjoying life now and don't regret our marriage or our fantastic (yet obnoxious) son. I went by myself to prom and should have stayed home. It didn't suck it just wasn't that fun. I had very few friends in high school, and all of them had dates, so I didn't dance at all. My mom made my dress and I looked awsome though, so that was good.

Rhia Jean said...

Right on brotha!!

Alison said...

Amen!