Monday, May 19, 2008

I need to blog...

...but I don't have a topic in mind, so I might ramble.

Okay, first. I got my new air filter for my car. This may sound silly, but it could be a big deal. I had to order it online, because none of the auto parts stores carried it. It's a K&N filter, which is a filter that you can clean yourself and reuse for the life of your car. You never need to buy a new filter. And, it's supposed to increase horsepower, which could increase gas milage, but maybe not.

Second, with gas at about $3.59 in Independekansascity, I'm trying to drive nicer to save. This includes not flooring the gas pedal when getting on the highway, not screeching on the brakes, and not zipping around people in traffic. I'm actually driving the speed limit. And, if I find someone driving slower, I get behind them and drive even slower, because I don't want to be the loser going five under that people hate. I'll behind that person, so maybe I'll even get sympathy. Hey, I don't mean to be a dork, but gas is expensive. Just nine years ago I was filling up for 99 cents a gallon. Of course, it helps that I never drive in rush hour traffic, so I CAN drive at a slower pace and not get run off the road.

Third, vacation starts in an hour and a half, and I'm happy. It's the first full vacation I've taken since starting this job seven months ago (I took a weekend off several months ago), and I'm not sure how long it was at my last job since I had vacation. Tuesday through Friday is just getting stuff around the home done. Saturday we see Wicked at the Music Hall, and Sunday through Wednesday we'll be staying in downtown Omaha (hooray!).

Fourth, I have a doctors appointment at 9:15 in the morning. I have to sign up for our new insurance plan at work. The premiums are decent, but the deductibles are going way up. But, if I get a free health screening beforehand, they'll give me another $300 towards the deductible. But I have to fast for 12 hours before doing the glucose test. :(

Fifth, a few months ago I was going through some of Emily's old documents and throwing away what wasn't needed (it was the same time we figured out she's attended ten different colleges/universities). During this process, we found some old savings bonds she's had. She had cashed most of them out by now, but still had these. She had four $50 notes left, and I mentioned she should cash them out before vacation, just to have a little extra money left. Well, these notes keep accumulating interest after they mature. Today Emily went to the bank and discovered that these notes, face valued at $200 were worth $766. Yeah, she just paid for our vacation.

I think that's about it. So, not too much excitement yet, but in a few days....

3 comments:

Alison said...

Wow! I need to find $200 worth of bonds in my papers. Care to help a sista out? :)

Have a wonderful vacation! It's going to be nice. You won't want to go back to work, but work will seem more tolerable when you do go back. Oh! And get lots of sleep, lots and lots of sleep.

Rhia Jean said...

I am impressed at your gas saving techniques. I only speed out of necessity...in the morning because I'm running late...because I hit the snooze button 4 too many times...now it's just a habit to speed and I can't stop...so can I blame the amount of money I spend on gas on having no desire to crawl out of bed in the morning? Hmmm.... Anyways, have fun on your vacation!

Matthew Ware said...

The few times I need to get up in the morning, I abuse my snooze button, so I understand.