Thursday, April 10, 2008

It's Under Pressure! Not Ice Ice Baby!

Once upon a time there was this wonderful song, a collaberative effort of two masters: Freddie Mercury of Queen and David Bowie of...um...David Bowie. The song is called Under Pressure. If you haven't heard of it, think of Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice. The music to the song was completely ripped off and Mr. Ice changed the lyrics to some stupid white boy rap. I can forgive him for this because Queen lives on in rock legend, while Vanilla Ice is a joke. (And the fact that Vanilla Ice was sued for copyright infringement and lost.) Well, our local radio station thought it might be a good idea to mix the songs, taking turns playing both lyrics over the same music. This is an insult. Putting Vanilla Ice and Queen/David Bowie in the same song is disgusting and I hate it.

I'll have a happier blog later, but I needed to vent.

7 comments:

Emily Anne said...

I didn't know that was Freddie Mercury and David Bowie. I love that song. What crap radio station would put the classic song mixed with rap crap? Long live Under Pressure! Long live Freddie Mercury!

Emily Anne said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Alison said...

"Ice, Ice, Baby, too cold, too cold!"

Yeah, the only thing good about "Ice, Ice Baby" are the memories of my childhood associated with it, because it was played all the time.

I agree--Queen and David Bowie--wonderful. Vanilla Ice--joke in comparison.

Rhia Jean said...

Okay, two funny/maybe not so funny stories here:
1) When I was in high school, my band teacher was Mr. Van Winkle. We were all convinced that Robbie Van Winkle a.k.a. Vanilla Ice was his long lost son.
2) When I was at SFA, Vanilla Ice came in concert. No, this was not when he was popular! Remember, Emily and I were college roommates...we are the same age! Anyways, I don't think anyone went to his concert...

R Matthew Ware said...

Rhia, were you a band girl?

Rhia Jean said...

No, I was a band NERD!!!!

R Matthew Ware said...

I played trombone, you?