Thursday, March 20, 2008

If I Were Single Again

Despite the way I tease my wife, I really do enjoy marriage and I do not wish to be single again. Ever. But If I were, I think I would take some of the things I know now and apply to living single.

First, I wouldn't worry about finding "the one", or in that case, "the two"? I'd just enjoy the fact that I could have fun.

I'd spend random time with friends. Whatever was going on, I'd join in.

I'd accept invitations. You've got a party at your house? Going to see a movie I'm not interested in? Going to the lake? Sure. It's good to get out and about.

I'd travel.

I would be super active at the temple. I'm sure I could find enough people with temple recommends to go on a regular basis.

I'd get another SUV to hang out with all my single friends. First, to have room for them. Second, chicks dig SUVs. Just ask Emily. It's why she married me.*

I would get a work schedule that would let me attend institute and I'd go every week. Institute is cool.

I would go to plays and concerts with my newly formed band of single and loving it friends.

I'd host Sunday night dinners. Dave used to do this, and it was fun to hang out and not be alone.

I would have an FHE group, because its better doing that as a group. But I'd try to include a spiritual element.

I'd travel to visit my far-flung friends (this means you, Kathryn, Alison, and Rhia).

I would stay out of debt.

I would travel a lot, here and in Europe, if at all possible.

I would call up friends at 11pm and go sit at Denny's or an ice cream, just for the heck of it.

I'd be less afraid to ask women out.

I'd realize that dating is a great way to find friends.

Hey, wait, I think most of these things (except for the dating) I could do anyway. I think married life and single life isn't much different, except when you're married you're plural.

And what is dating when you're married except a steady date?

Okay, so the things you should learn to do when you're single to be happy are the same things you would need to have a happy marriage. Emily helps me be happy, but if I don't try, it doesn't matter. You have to be happy with yourself, right?

So, what do I want to do as a married guy?

See above list.

*Emily didn't really marry me because of the SUV. It was because of a ring, and not the engagement/wedding ring (which is, in fact, one ring). Maybe I'll tell that story tomorrow.

3 comments:

K2 said...

You are such a sweet friend! Thanks for everything you've done for me!

Emily Anne said...

remember its more difficult to do those things with a kid. Would you leave Will at home to fend for himself? I love you too.

R Matthew Ware said...

Dude, Will's a chick magnet. He'd come along for the ride. And he'd keep me worthy :)