Monday, March 24, 2008

Children's Books

I was going to blog about how I don't like liars, because I've had issues with that today. But what would I say? I don't like liars. Duh. Do people walk down the street and think, "Gee, I'd like to run into a liar today. I'd just love to get ripped off. That would really make my day." So, instead, I'll eccentuate the positive.

Lately I've been reading a bunch of children's books. This is partly because I don't want to start a longer book because a new novel comes out April 1st that I really want to read. So until then I'm sticking to the shorter books.

That's not the only reason. I really like young adult and children's books. There's a lot of imagination and fun and sometimes they're just a good read. Right now I'm reading "The City of Ember", and yesterday I finished "Artemis Fowl: The Eternity Code".

So tell me. Why do you like children's books? And I know you do. I've looked through your visual bookshelves on Facebook :)

My problem with shopping for them is this. If I go to Barnes and Noble alone, you have to go into their separate kids section. When I do that I feel like people around me are looking at me and thinking, pervert. What's this thirty year old guy (for some reason everyone thinks I'm in my thirties, oh well) doing in with the kids. Let's stone him and set him on fire!

Maybe not. But I feel like that. I'm okay if Emily or Will are with me, but solo, I'm the 30-year-old pervert.

Anyone know why?

4 comments:

Rhia Jean said...

You know, I had a parent tell me one time that they thought it was creepy if a man taught elementary school. Her daughter had been in a man's class and she made her argument to the principal and got her child moved. I personally think that is stupid. I mean really, there are women out there who are pedophiles as well as men. Anyways, I haven't read City of Ember. I've been trying to get the kids at school to read it, but nobody will check it out. Is it good? I'll probably read it this summer. You should read Leven Thumps and the Gateway to Foo if you haven't already. It's very Harry Potter-ish. I like children's books because they are clean for one. It's easier to pick out the duds (it's pretty obvious that a chapter book about Hannah Montana is going to be stupid) and 9 times out of 10, when you choose an award winning or nominated book, it's going to be good.

R Matthew Ware said...

I'll let you know if it's good. They're making it into a movie later this year so I thought I'd read it first.

I've thought, on and off, of going into education. I don't think I could handle the older kids, I have too much of a smart mouth.

I'll check out the Leven Thumps. I've seen them from time to time, but passed on them so far.

Alison said...

I was thinking about what Rhia was saying about people being creeped out by male elementary school teachers as I was reading this post and give a hearty "Amen" to her comments. Because it's true. A lot of people have issues with it, because, to them, it doesn't seem "natural." And, yep, it's a ridiculous assumption. No way would anyone get away with that as to why they didn't want to work with a person (because of their gener) in the business world.

I ADORE The Giver and The Watsons Go to Birmingham--1963. Both are wonderful. City of Ember is also on my list to read as well as the Floo book. :) And all my reasons for enjoying such books have already been stated.

Emily Anne said...

You find the same "I don't like men" attitude in nursing and it is stupid, but people get away with it. I think nursing is the only place where you can be racist and it be ok too. Anyway, off subject. I don't like childrens books. I think they are silly and all of you are silly for reading them (not really, but I wanted to be different). I enjoy them for a quick read when I have read something too heavy and my brain can't handle it. I have a few favorites from when I was little like "Wait Till Helen Comes" and "The Dollhouse Murders" both of which are scary and both of which I need new copies of because mine are falling apart. The End