Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Book Review: Twilight, by Stephenie Meyer


At its heart, Twilight is a love story. But don't let that stop you. It's a love story with vampires, without all the annoying sex. In fact, the story is able to keep you going and really feel for the vampires without having to resort to crudeness, something almost unheard of for modern vampire stories.
Edward is a 17-year-old guy and so is Bella, and they're in love. The only problem is that Edward has been 17 for almost a hundred years and he wants to kill her. It makes things awkward at first. Through persistence their relationship grows. The one difficulty that is hard for both is that Bella will continue to age while Edward will not.
All of this is complicated enough until a rival vampire shows up and discovers a similar obsession in Bella. Only his is not one of love, instead he simply wants to hunt and kill her. This draws them to the climax and Bella has to decide whether she can trust Edward's family, one completely composed of vampires.
Twilight is the first book for author Stephenie Meyer and is the first of a series. Two follow up books are out: New Moon and Eclipse.

2 comments:

K2 said...

I love this series! I read all three in a week I think. They are great!

R Matthew Ware said...

I know, it was so readable. I want to get to the others, but I've got a shelf worth of books I want to read. If I don't get through them by Christmas the stack will grow because I just love BUYING books.