Monday, July 2, 2007

Book Review: The Blue Girl

I finished reading The Blue Girl, by Charles deLint today. I've never read anything by him before, and that always makes me nervous. It's a large investment in time, and a not insignificant investment in money. I'm glad to say that I enjoyed this book. I don't think I ever had an impending sense of dread about the ending, but it was thoroughly enjoyable.

Okay, what is it about. Imogene Yeck is the main character. She has just moved to Newford and has decided to start fresh. At her old school she ran with the rough crowd and was never afraid of hurting someone who threatened her. Now, she's trying to live the clean life.

Things get weird when the school's ghost starts appearing to her. Then, her invisible friend from when she was younger turns up, and he's not so invisible. If that weren't enough, she is also confronted with faeries and a darkness from the dawn of creation. She combats these problems with her best friend, Maxine, perhaps the least popular girl in school. And she does so with her thrift store goth appearance.

Oh, and this isn't much of a spoiler, as the Blue Girl, Imogene actually turns blue. For me, that's too cool.

So, to the important questions:

Would I recommend this to someone else? Yes, if you like urban fantasy, faeries, or good young adult, read it.

Would I read another book by Charles deLint? Yes, the hard part is picking which one.

No comments: