Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Future of Print

So, sometimes I think of the future and how things will work. Sometimes my imagination isn't so good, but I give it a try anyway. I read a blog entry about the future of print at The Rejecter's site: http://rejecter.blogspot.com/, titled

The Exaggerated Reporting of Print's Death.


In it The Rejecter quotes Stan Lee saying there's something about holding something in your hand and that's why comic books will never die.


I agree, and would like to expand. I don't think I could ever getting into reading a book on a computer. I just don't think I could sit at the desk, trying to get comfortable, and really get into a good book. And forget the laptop too. Too big and heavy, and warm, for me.

For this to work, it would have to be some sort of digital device that would give me a screen to read from, it would be lightweight, and it would have to be combined with something else that I would often use.

Behold, the iPhone.

First off, let me get something straight. I'm not pimping the iPhone or anything else. But, I think something like this, with a large screen, the bonus of it already being an mp3 player and a cell phone, and its simply cool design, would let me be able to sit down and read a book. Yeah, I like having the thing in print form. I like putting my book on my shelf to make me look cool. But if I were to be on a long trip, or an airplane, or work ( hehehe ) it might be nice to be able to download the recent Charles deLint novel and pass the time.

And a lot of people don't even care about having the book. They don't mind reading online. But still, having to sit at the computer is a pain in the butt. Literally. So, why not have a device like this where you can download the book and read it in one handy device. You might even be able to listen to a song while reading it.

Hey, its a thought.

No comments: