Wednesday, June 20, 2007

You, Mr. President, are wrong.

Okay, I voted for George W. Bush. Twice. And most days I don't regret it. I think he has done a lot of good things.

That said, he needs to stop on this immigration bill. I don't know what his deal is. It's like he's obsessed with getting it passed. Why? I don't know.

What I really hate, though, is how he's treating people about this. It's his basic opinion that if you don't agree with him on this, then you're the dumb one.

Hey, I might be dumb, but I know how to pronounce nuclear. And I might not know everything about immigration, but I know this bill is a bad idea.

Taking at least twelve million people who have ignored our laws and are trespassing on our soil and allowing them to stay with minimal consequences is irresponsible. You're going to have 12 million people who will want benefits like medicaid and food stamps. You're going to take people that I'm told will do the jobs we won't, and they're going to realize that they don't want to do them either. You're going to take 12 million people and let each bring in 5 family members. You will encourage others from Mexico looking to immigrate to break the law rather than follow it. You will have an entire class of people that have no respect for our laws.

Do you know what Mexico's immigration policy is? First, you have to have permission to enter. You also have to be wealthy enough to never need anything from the government. You can buy property, but if the government wants it for any reason, they'll take it. If you ever criticize a politician you get deported. And you will NEVER be granted citizenship. Sound fun?

We don't need new laws. What we need is a president willing to seal the border and enforce our laws. We have an immigration policy, let's follow it. In our war on terror, having a border as insecure as ours is just stupid.

Seal the border, enforce the law. Enforcement is under the purview of the executive branch, the head of the executive branch is the president. Don't ask for new laws that will hurt us. Enforce the ones we have. I guarantee it will help the country.

No comments: