Friday, June 8, 2007

Query Letters

So, I've written a query letter, I've researched agents, and now I'm sending queries out. It's a nervous process. For most of the agents, I'm sending snail mail. I've heard that, unless otherwise specified, most book agents want snail mail. Don't ask me why. For the few that prefer email, that's what they're getting. I just started sending out queries yesterday and have already gotten two rejections. That's exciting to me. Why? Am I nuts? Well yeah, a little, but that's beyond the point. For me, I'm excited because I'm actually hearing from these people. They're real, they exist, and now I have proof. Even though they're not interested in my books, I know that they read the query letter. My name is out there. I know it's out there with thousands of other wanna-be writers, but it's there all the same. The trick now is not giving up, and steeling myself for all of the rejections. And rejections are okay. There are many reasons for a rejection, and not all because your project isn't any good. I'm saving them, and any clues or tidbits I receive will be helpful.

Until then, I'm starting research on my next book. I don't want to go into too much detail now, but it involves ghosts. My first book took me 17 months to complete. Hopefully this one takes a lot less time. I'm very excited about this project, and if my first book doesn't attract anyone, maybe this one will. If it's successful, then I may have more luck selling the first one. The idea, for me, is not to write sequals until I get a book deal. If I spend all the time on sequals and I can't sell the first book, I'm wasting my time. You can't sell the second book in a series if you haven't sold the first. So, I will continue to write new books until I get a deal. I have at least four novel ideas (including the book I'm shopping now and the ghost book) and all could end up being a series.

No comments: