Thursday, November 6, 2008

Memoriam: Michael Crichton


Author Michael Crichton died November 4th at the age of 66. I guess with the election this went pretty unreported.

Michael Crichton had been one of my favorite authors growing up. When people would ask me what I liked I would usually say, "Well, there's Michael Crichton..."

My first introduction to his books came in high school when my English teacher, the wonderful Sara Crump, assigned Jurassic Park to us. From then on I was hooked.

It's unfortunate he went so early. Who knows what he would have come up with given another twenty years of writing.

4 comments:

Emily Anne said...

Oh My Goodness. Are you sure he died? He can't die. He's one of my favorite authors. I LOVE his books. Dude, that stinks.

Alison said...

I watched an interview with him a year or two ago, and I remember really liking him. He had a background in medicine and used that background to create his stories. (So interesting what he said about that.) He also talked about how environmental fanatics really go overboard and that he had a hard time listening to people with no scientific background telling the every day person to ride a bike when they're on private jets, etc. It was awesome! I was totally engrossed for the 30 minutes he was on and surprised by how honest he was.

Rhia Jean said...

It's pretty much the funnest thing in the world to listen to an author that you admire. But then again it's pretty much the saddest thing when they die because even though you may still enjoy them, there won't ever be anything new from them anymore. Maybe in heaven there will be though. Do you think we'll be able to read books in heaven? Besides scripture? I mean not that scripture isn't good but, you know, like other good books. Wow. I totally just got way off topic. Surprising, I know.

Matthew Ware said...

I've sometimes asked the question of whether there will be new books by the authors (that made it to heaven). I don't see why not. Some of it may be the real stories from our lives. I'm sure there are a lot of fun, adventurous stories that we've never heard. Will there be fiction? Maybe. I could only hope.