Friday, August 15, 2008

Harry Potter Delay


Warner Brothers, in all their wisdom, has decided to delay the release of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince to next July. So all of us loyal fans who were counting on a November release (about 100 days away) now get a July 17th release (over 300 days away). Why has the wonderful WB made this decision? Well, like all studios: money. With The Dark Knight (also a WB product), they have decided that they've surpassed budget expectations and can save Harry Potter, another sure hit for the studio, to next year, when they don't have as many big budget movies coming out.

They've said the core audience for the film will be out of school next July, allowing HBP more time to bring in money. It is also the same weekend Dark Knight came out. So all the wonderful fans are basically being punished for their loyalty and willingness to spend time making the studio rich. Kind of like what's happening at work to me. So I shouldn't be surprised by something like this. It is the second movie to be bumped like this (the first was Star Trek, getting moved from Christmas to next May).

I also love WB's attempt to spin the story. They've said the repercussions of the writer's strike was also a reason in the delay, but go on to say post-production for the movie finished on time. What does that mean? The movie's done. They could put it in theaters next week. I guess it was an added bonus to blame the writers for wanting to actually get paid for their work.

So guys, enjoy the rest of your year. City of Ember, James Bond, and Twilight will still (I hope) come out next year. And we'll get to see HBP next year. And, to take some of the edge off, WB says the delay won't hold up the first part of Deathly Hallows, so there should be a shorter gap between films (I'm guessing July 2010?).

4 comments:

Alison said...

Man, but I love seeing Harry Potter movies during the Thanksgiving/Christmas holidays. It's just not as fun in the summer. Stupid studios.

K2 said...

Totally stupid..I just posted about it too. GRRRR...

Rhia Jean said...

Ugh! This is why I hate them! The problem is, I'll still go see it whenever it does come out and they know it. So will everyone else. So I'll just lie to myself and say that they are being conservative with their projects and trying to avoid bullimic (sp?) movie revenues. Why go through droughts and floods when you can spread it out and have consistency?

Emily Anne said...

Why does all of Hollywood have to lie? Just tell me straight that you want more money and are super greedy. I won't like it, but it won't make me nearly as angry as trying to sugar coat your real reason with the writer's strike excuse. Have some balls and tell the truth.

I will survive because Twillight comes out in December, but I won't like it. And I'm with you Rhia, I will go see it anyways and hopefully enjoy it next summer. Maybe it will come out close to Matt's birthday and I can take him to it for his birthday present. Hmm...