Sunday, August 24, 2008

Goodbye, Beijing

In honor of the 2008 Olympics closing tonight, I've compiled a list of sports that should say goodbye too, and the reasons they should go. Have fun!
  • Baseball and Basketball: These sports were just fine when it was amateurs competing. Once they let the pros in they haven't been very fair to other nations. Especially in basketball where the competitions are dominated by NBA talent every year. Let's just let these be international professional sports and not olympic sports.
  • Boxing: This is just angry men hitting each other. I'm not a huge fan of real violence (movie violence is just fine, the choreography makes it more like dancing). I almost got to see angry men start hitting each other at the gas station today. I wouldn't give them a gold for it. (Whether or not this actually came to blows, I don't know. I decided to leave before learning whether or not one of the parties had a gun.)
  • Judo/Taekwondo: Martial arts are supposed to be disciplined exercises of self-control and protection. It really shouldn't be competitive, otherwise it just becomes more like boxing.
  • Rhythmic Gymnastics: I love the regular gymnastics. It takes immense strength, mental acuity, and skill. Rhythmic gymnastics is basically little girls waving ribbons behind them or playing will bouncy balls. That's not a sport, that's a parade (or the circuis).
  • Rowing can stay, sailing should go. Rowing takes strength and skill, and sure, so does sailing, but it seems too much like yachting. Can you picture that? Men standing on million dollar yachts in their white pants, blue dinner jackets, holding a martini?
  • Shooting: I actually think this should remain because it does require skill and hey, shooting a gun is just cool. The reason I list it is do we really want countries that we could end up at war with getting better at shooting.
  • Table Tennis: Forrest? Forrest? This isn't a sport! I could do this! I think the main qualifications for this sport are the ability to stand, and the possession of at least one hand.
  • Trampoline: Come on, aren't these just gymnastics rejects? Bounce on your own time. Don't ask for medals for bouncing better than others.
  • Weighlifting: Sure, this takes training and lots of working out. But a sport? You're just picking up heavy stuff. Of course, I'd never say this around a weightlifter. They could probably pick me up and throw me a good distance. Now THAT would be a sport.

3 comments:

Emily Anne said...

For those of you less obsessed with the games, softball is not going to be an Olympic sport anymore because the USA always wins. This year we got silver. I think it's funny we got silver when it's not going to be an Olympic sport because we always win.

I like the basketball. That is all.

Alison said...

Badminton. They should get rid of that. I caught 5 seconds of it and started laughing because of how serious everyone was taking it. Badminton is the shy girl's sport in middle school, there is nothing "olympic" about it. Puh-lease!!!!

Rhia Jean said...

Hmmm...I didn't once turn on the TV while the olympics were going. It wasn't intentional. All I got was channel 21 and that really didn't do me any good. It doesn't really do any good to tell you that because you don't know what channel 21 is here. I'll tell you though. It's UPN. Do you have a UPN in KC? If not, they basically just show terrible sitcoms and reruns of That 70s show (which I adore), but no olympics.