Thursday, May 15, 2008

I'm not feeling that stimulated

We got our stimulus check today, or rather it was deposited into my account today. We got $900, which seems like a lot until you consider I was expecting anywhere between $1200-1500. But whatever. It's money, it's my money (because I'm the taxpayer) and I'll use it. Or, we'll use it, because it's going to our vacation.

What gets me is that I know that $900 is nice to have in my pocket, but the policies of our administration (that I have to admit I voted for, twice) is making things worse. Look at gas prices. Sure, there simply isn't enough oil on the market, but part of the reason gas is so high is because the US dollar is so weak. When you print off money that doesn't come from anywhere, the value goes down. And I'm not just talking about these stimulus checks, I'm talking about the administration's policy to spend money like drunken sailors without having the funds to back it up.

No, that's harsh. A drunken sailor will stop spending money when he runs out. And a drunken sailor will go back to work when it sobers up. The government spends money that it doesn't have (think of having a credit card with a Trillion dollar limit, only they can raise their limit whenever they want, without making minimum monthly payments) and they don't really take care of the taxpayer that is the whole reason the government has money.

So, they keep spending money that they don't have, which lowers the value of the dollar, so the oil suppliers want more dollars per gallon because they know that our dollar doesn't mean as much.

When it comes to taxes, you should either have higher taxes with higher spending (which I don't like) or lower taxes with lower spending (which is better for the economy). We have low taxes and high spending.

Do you remember that movie Dave? This guy impersonates the president and brings in an accountant to fix the budget. After going after things, the guy says that if he ran his business like that, he'd be out of business. Our government should be better stewards. But they don't see themselves as stewards, they see themselves as gods.

1 comment:

Rhia Jean said...

If you ran for President or even White House Accountant, I would vote for you.