Friday, April 25, 2008

Yes, I am still breathing

This morning I woke, lying on my back (which is odd for me) my hands folded on my chest (which is probably a creepy pose, being it makes me look like a corpse in a coffin). I noticed my wife's hand on my chest. To any who know, this is a comforting sensation, much like someone putting their hand on your shoulder. But then I had an idea. Why would my wife lay there with her hand on my chest if she didn't think I was awake.

So I asked her, "Are you checking my pulse?"

"You can't take someone's pulse on their chest. I'm making sure your chest is still rising and falling."

She thought I'd stopped breathing! Creepy! She went on to tell me that I had been snoring loudly and just randomly stopped. I know (and I suspect she knows as well) that people that have sleep apnea can stop breathing during the night, and my mother has told me that I've done that before (though why she never had it checked out when I was younger, I don't know).

Well, I was breathing, and I am alive, but I can't criticize my wife. She cares about me, for some reason.

And I had similar experiences when Will was still young. When he'd sleep, he'd be so still and quiet I thought maybe something was wrong. On many occasions I would check to see if I could feel a pulse because I worried about the booger. See, God gives us these little humans to care for, and children are quite resilient, but they're also fragile in their way, and I'm afraid I'll break the little guy. So when my wife checked to see if I was still breathing, I was okay with that. And she knows CPR, so if I ever stop breathing when she's around, I feel fairly confident she could take care of me.



And a side note:

I dreamt this morning that we went down and were visiting Rhia. And she didn't like me. At all. It was very depressing. That's why you shouldn't sleep in. You get weirder dreams when you try to sleep in.

4 comments:

Emily Anne said...

It was creepy. He was making a HUGE snore and then nothing. It was enough different than his normal snoring and not breathing that it worried me. I'm so glad Matt is getting a sleep study Wednesday.

Matt, I care because you care about me, plus you are funny and cute. If Rhia likes me, I'm sure you are fine.

K2 said...

Glad to hear you are still kickin it in KC.

Rhia Jean said...

If you are dreaming that I don't like you, then I'm here to burst your bubble. None of my friends have married guys that I don't like, so don't get your hopes up that we will be mortal enemies. The only reason I wouldn't like you is if you stopped breathing...just kidding! Okay, but seriously...please keep breathing.

Matthew Ware said...

Dude, Rhia, we can be mortal enemies. And we can have super powers!