Friday, December 21, 2007

The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Fox is gearing up for the premiere of its new Terminator series, The Sarah Connor Chronicles. Of all the shows I started watching this season, I'm still watching...let's see...NCIS? And that's about it. Now, that's not for lack of entertainment from the other shows, its just because with my work schedule, taking care of the baby, my wife being in nursing school, and oh yeah, writing, I haven't had a lot of extra time. When you want to get something done bad enough, you have to cut some things. The thing that got cut was TV. I still watch it, but not as much.

But I am excited about this series. I've liked the Terminator movies so far, and I like Summer Glau, who plays the 'good' terminator. That said, it seems Fox screws up more shows than it gets right. Some of that is because it doesn't give them a good chance. Examples? Well, there was Drive that came out last summer. What show debuts in the summer on a prime time network? After four episodes, they axed it. Firefly is another good one. They were so excited about having Joss Whedon making a show for them they didn't really ask what it was about and how it would fit in the lineup. So, after the first few eps were shot, they decided the pilot wasn't exciting enough and that they should play the second episode first. I wonder if that left a lot of people wondering, who are these people and what are they doing?

So, as Fox gears up for its next cancellation in Terminator, I'm reluctant to get too excited. Sure, I like the franchise and I like the star, but should I get emotionally attached to any show on a network like Fox.

Well, I'll give it a shot anyway.


The first potential error I see is that the show has a two night debut, Sunday, January 13th at 8/7 central, and Monday, January 14th at 9/8 central. They should just have one, two-hour premiere instead of splitting the nights. That's another thing Fox does. They keep changing the night a show is on, sometimes with little or no notice, making the viewers really search to find their show. If they can keep the show on one night (and since 24 won't air this season because of the writer's strike, that may be possible), I think the show has a good chance. If they play around with the schedule like they usually do, then the show might have a harder time staying on.



The Sarah Connor Chronicles stars:

Summer Glau as the terminator Cameron. Glau has starred on The 4400 (recently canceled) as Tess Doerner, The Unit as Crystal Burns, and Firefly/Serenity as River Tam.

Lena Headey as Sarah Connor. She played Queen Gorgo in 300 and Angelika in The Brothers Grimm.

Thomas Dekker plays John Connor. He was Zach on Heroes and Vincent on 7th Heaven.

Richard T Jones is James Ellison. His biggest role was probably Bruce Van Exel on Judging Amy.

No comments: