Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Spider-Man 4?

I was at Wal-Mart today to pick up some Halloween candy when what do I see? Spider-Man 3 is out on DVD. So of course we picked it up. We don't buy as many DVD's as we used to (our current collection contains 224 movies and 19 seasons of TV) but there's still some we just have to get. I know a lot of people didn't like the third Spider-Man (sure, I would have liked more time spent on the Sand man storyline) but I still liked the tension between Peter Parker and Mary-Jane Watson because of Peter's friendship with Gwen Stacy and I liked the conflict between Peter and Harry. I even liked Topher Grace's portrayal as Eddie Brock/Venom, even though he was a lot like his character on That 70's Show.Now at home I saw a story on Scifi.com saying that Sony has hired James Vanderbilt to write Spider-Man 4. I knew Sony had plans to film up to seven Spider-Man movies, but I would think a break would be a good idea for the cast and the fans. Tobey Maguire has said he wants a break, Sam Raimi says he might not come back for another film, and Kirsten Dunst says she wouldn't want to come back if Tobey and Sam don't. Since then I think Tobey backed off a little and would now entertain another film, but with Sony planning a 2009 release, isn't that a bit soon?We saw this happen with the Star Trek franchise. Sure, no Star Trek movie has come even close to what Spider-Man has done (Star Trek IV did just better than $100 million, Spider-Man 1-3 has brought in a combined US Box of $1.1 billion). But what Star Trek showed us was that too much at a time can drive even your core fans away (Star Trek X, though I thought it was a good film, tanked in theaters, and Enterprise, admittedly the worst of the series, was canceled after only four seasons. Short for a Star Trek series). As popular as Spider-Man has been, if Sony gets too greedy, the fans, the stars, and the director will leave. But will Sony care? Who knows.
If Sam Raimi has enough of a say on things, the franchise may continue to do well. If Peter and Mary Jane's relationship can stay interesting and not get boring or repetitive, if the villains can be conflicted and touch us (as Sandman did, and could have done more given the time), then maybe we'll be okay. But I've seen too many good things get screwed up because those in power (the studios) don't realize what makes it good. So, I'll cross my fingers and wait until 2009.
Oh, and Happy Halloween! Pics of the son to come.

No comments: