Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Sad Hugs

I still have one more day at work but yesterday was almost a last day in several respects. It was the last day I would see some people that have come to be friends. There's Rossy, whom I've worked with for two years now, Jacqui, that I've only worked with for a few months, and Amy, who I don't think really liked me at first, but has come to at least tolerate. It got me to thinking that as I move on I won't really get to see people that I've come to like. I hate saying goodbye to people I like.So I started to think about saying goodbye. I'm not much for it, so I usually just leave. Trying to make it last longer hurts and can be awkward. But I did leave some of the people I cared about with a hug. I wonder, though, what a hug is, where did it come from? I checked Wikipedia, but didn't come up with a good answer. It says that it communicates love, affection, friendship, and warmth (both literally and figuratively).
I like that last one, warmth. Hugs are warm. But it is also an almost intimate gesture. You don't hug people you don't like. You don't hug people you feel uncomfortable around. You hug those you care about, those that you trust, and those that make you feel good. In a hug you share a lot of body area and you aren't afraid of being judged. To me, a hug says, 'I care about you and think enough of you to share a moment of trust.'Am I reading too much into that? I don't know. But hugs feel good and make me happy. It can be relaxing. It can communicate a lot that words just aren't sufficient for. Frustration, fear, and sadness can be let out with a hug. When it's my time to go, I think a hug would be a good way to say goodbye.
*No, I do not know anyone in any of these pictures, so I hope no one finds themselves posted here and get offended.

No comments: